Kara, our twelfth recipient, has just sent the notebook out into the world. So, we're about halfway through the list of conspirators. (Wow, I'm REALLY going to need to buy more red hair dye.)
We're adding a conspirator. My cubemate, Danielle (who got me to participate in Operation Flowers), kept saying, "Next time you do that, I want to do it." I don't know that I will ever be able to pull something like this off again, so I figured we may as well just add her to the list. It worked out well, because I have to rearrange the later part of the list anyway, in order to get the notebook to Ben for his wedding. (This has become more an obsession than a mission for me, and I WILL make it happen.)
Just a short while ago, I emailed most of the derby-related conspirators (all the ones who will be working our bout the day of the wedding) and asked if we could coordinate a picture of all of us with the notebook. Since I'll be wearing my fancy red dress, it just seemed like a good time to be photographed with the notebook. And since SO MANY of the conspirators will be in one place AT THE SAME TIME, it seemed like a good thing to try to do. Bout days are busy and can be crazy and it's no small thing to take a minute out of whatever you've got planned to pose for some silly picture for some silly friend who has very weird ideas. But, it's looking like we might be able to pull it off, and that's just awesome.
I was home visiting family this weekend, and I realized something obvious that never quite sunk in before: Pictures are really important to me. (If you've ever been in my apartment or seen my cubicle at work, you already know this, I'm sure.) I arrived at my grandma's on the fourth anniversary of my grandpa's death and I noticed how she has all these pictures scattered around her house that I'd had printed and framed for him when he went into the nursing home shortly before he died -- the only thing I could think to comfort someone who was slowly losing all his memories was to give him hard copies of those memories.
In a lot of ways, that's what this notebook is going to be.
Halfway through the notebook's journey, I wonder if anyone has noticed my mom's recipe for chocolate chip cookies and tried making them. I was all about trying to put something for each sense -- except smell; screw smell; I am living proof that you can have a full and happy life with little to no sense of smell, thank you very much; plus, it's hard to figure out how to represent smell in a notebook -- there was a collage for sight, a soundtrack for hearing, an origami butterfly for touch, and mom's cookie recipe for taste. If no one has noticed (or tried) the cookie recipe, I do hope that someone does before the end. Make cookies for strangers or people you love (or people you hate) and write about it in the notebook. I dare you.
No comments:
Post a Comment