when i learned i was the first conspirator to get my hands on the notebook, it actually felt like some kind of honor. out of >20 people, i was #1. i had a relatively brand spanking new notebook, and i got to be the first one to eff with it. it was downright neato.
graceless (tara, to you normal people) delivered it to me at the maine roller derby practice at happy wheels. it looked like this:
i was genuinely thrilled and excited over a fun project. i took hopped in the car that night after practice and pondered what to do with it on my ride home. i racked my brain trying to think of something to do that would stand out as unique. it took me an alarming amount of time to realize that, being the first to go, there was nothing to be unique from. also, i had never read the book that was the inspiration for this project. by the time i hit my garage, i came to the sour realization that i had no friggin clue what to do with this notebook.
so the next morning, i ate breakfast with it:
then i took it to work:
then i ate my lunch with it:
then i took it to my mom's house, where i found a label maker:
*snort*
then i took it home. where it just... kind of... sat there.
anybody who knows me personally will not be surprised that i procrastinated with a project that weighed heavily on my mind. that tendency summarizes my entire life.
today being a thoroughly wasted sunday, i knew i had to do something with the notebook. i added a neat parlor trick, and tried to make it flow with a meaningful message. then i found some funny cartoons and pasted them in random spots. but i didn't feel... finished.
i found the cd in the back of the book. and as i was ripping the music to my computer, i had a pencil on a blank page. and i just started writing what i was feeling.
what came out wasn't anything awesome or unique. it wasn't even a lot of writing. but it is probably the most honest thing i've written that i knew other eyes would see. and when i was done, i was done.
i'll bring it back to practice tomorrow for the lovely ice (alyssa, to you normal people) to take next.





I'm going to blame the fact that it is 7:27 a.m., I didn't sleep well last night, and I think I'm getting sick for the fact that it took me a REALLY LONG TIME to realize the label made it say, "Molest Me." (Which is very funny.)
ReplyDeleteAlso: I love your lunchbox.
Well done, Joe! It's not easy going first.
AWESOME bit with the label-maker. Since we're all about to molest this red notebook in numerous ways, it seems very appropriate!
ReplyDeleteEpic labeling, Joe. Epic.
ReplyDeleteIt took me a couple of minutes too Tara. But I laughed when I finally saw it. It's an optical illusion or something. How'd he do that?
ReplyDelete:)
Hi, Em here. (Conspirator #12). This post made me flat out STOKED to get the red notebook. Although I'm way out west so I've got some time to wait and plot how I shall "molest" the pages. Loved the post... and that you ate breakfast and lunch with it. Hilarious. And yes, fabulous lunchbox.
ReplyDeleteI shall now go back to plotting my entry... Carry on conspirators. Carry on.