Sunday, May 6, 2012

We did it!


Conspirator #23 (aka Ben, my writing partner and the closest thing I have to a brother) got married today. When I realized I wouldn’t have a buddy to keep me from freaking out at the wedding, I decided I had to come up with another way. I was already invested in getting the Red Notebook to Ben for the wedding. So, I made a dare for myself.

One of the primary reasons I was going to be buddy-less for the wedding was that it was happening on the same day as a bout. (A bout where ALL THE FUN PEOPLE were going to be reffing.) I emailed all the past conspirators who were going to be at the bout and asked if we could arrange a picture with the notebook before I headed to the wedding. And not just any picture. Maine Roller Derby has this tradition of taking pictures in cheerleader pyramids. I have never participated in one (for a variety of reasons) but this seemed like the perfect opportunity to dare myself to change that. 


First, we took the traditional "Graceless reading in the penalty box" picture.
Then this happened. It’s not a pyramid, because I forgot that making someone who is still recovering from ACL surgery participate in a cheerleader pyramid is a really bad idea.
I don’t know if that’s why I was so much calmer at the reception than I’d expected to be. All I know is that I have never been so calm at such a large social event when I didn’t have a book or buddy to distract me. (Sitting at a corner table may have helped. Sitting at a corner table with very nice strangers may have also helped.)












In any case, we got the notebook to Ben:



And he's going to bring it on his honeymoon, because that is how awesome he is.

Of course, the more time this whole project takes, the more I am reminded what an incredibly lucky girl I am to not only know so many awesome people but to be able to call them my friends, to know that I am a better person for being connected to them.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS. And that is SUCH a great pic of you and Ben. What a great journey the red notebook has had already. And it hasn't even gotten to the great state of Colorado, baby. WATCH OUT!

    ReplyDelete