Decreasing
World Suck in Boulder, Colorado.
So
the Red Notebook mission, as I understand it, is to increase the sum total of
world awesomeness, have fun while doing it, and take the Red Notebook along for the
ride. I pondered and pondered this mission. And then it hit me:
there's a whole group of people in Boulder, Colorado who inspire me every
single day-- and they don't even know it. So I decided to inspire them
back.
I'm finishing my novel, Little Miss Life. I'm
not one of these writers who flourishes in hermit-like solitude, crafting words
alone in my house all day. No, I need people! So I write exclusively
in coffee shops, bookstores, and my very favorite -- the Boulder Public
Library. The "BPL" is a very special place. There are all
kinds of rooms to write in-- big, open, airy rooms with skylights, little tiny
rooms with stone walls and floor lamps, quiet study rooms with rows and rows of
tables. There are sculptures and water fountains, a Zen meditation
garden, a creek with a little beach and benches. There's a walking path
that leads straight from the library up into the beautiful flatiron mountains,
great for pacing when stuck on a plot point. There's
a Seattle's coffee machine, an entire teen library, an aquarium.
And
all those things are great. But they aren't the best parts of the
library. The best parts of the library are the books and the PEOPLE.
Every day I faithfully drag my laptop and my Diet Mountain Dew and my bag
of snacks into the study room, and every day I faithfully write my way toward
my goal of a finished novel. And some days it's HARD. Some days
it's WORSE than HARD. Some days it's I'll-never-publish-this, some days it's
oh-why-bother, some days it's I've-only-written-a-page?!?!
But
on those days, I look around. And I see
the amazing people of the BPL. Everybody
is up to something. Some are reading
books on how to start a business. How to
build a webpage. How to build a boat, repair a bike, rear happy children. Some people are teaching themselves a new
language. Some have come in, put their lives
on hold, and are just taking in a really great read.
Some are down on their luck and they need a place to just BE. Some bring their children to hear stories
read out loud. Some come for the
quiet. There’s even a girl in
brown-rimmed glasses who comes in every single day with her laptop and huge bag full of who-knows-what—she says she
fulfilling her lifelong dream of finishing a novel. (That’s me!)
And I’m inspired by all these people.
And when writer's block threatens, the energy of their projects, their books, their pens, their presence-- helps me calm down,
return to the page, and keep on trudging. Because this is my dream, and they inspire me to keep going. So I decided to inspire them back.
I
took post-it notes, and I wrote messages like this:
I wrote all sorts of inspiring messages: messages about following dreams, believing in your ideas, never giving up. And I posted them in the restrooms and any little place where an unsuspecting BPL patron might look. And I hope I decreased the suck in somebody's life that day. I hope I encouraged someone to keep going and to keep dreaming. I hope I did for someone what their presence does for me every single day.
And then? Then I took the Notebook on a tour of the place, to show him my favorite spots. I even put him on the shelf in the teen library! I had to grab him back quick before someone checked him out! I mean, come on, the Red Notebook is a GREAT READ after all:
And we hung out with other great reads. Like Catcher in the Rye, right beside the Catcher and the Rye tile on one of the sculptures! (Can you see the title written in the tile?)
And we strolled along beside the mural that runs outside the library. The Red Notebook REALLY liked this message, and I do, too:
(You ARE born an original. Don't die a copy.)
And then we checked out the library's Zen meditation garden. Did a book give you a deep thought you need to process? Stuck on a plot point? Confused about what book to check out next? Need ideas about how to be awesome? WALK IT OUT:
And then I wanted to show the Red Notebook one of the inspirations for a scene in my book. My characters end up dancing in a creek just like this one that runs behind the library. This also happens to be where I eat my lunch on many days:
Then I sat down with the Red Notebook and wrote about our journey at the library. I added some decorations, and I read all the other entries of awesome. Then I looked at the Red Notebook and the Red Notebook looked at me-- and we decided we had completed our mission. Hopefully, we'd decreased world suck. And we'd definitely had fun doing it. And so sadly, we left the fabulous BPL:
(Can you spot the volunteers registering people to vote just inside the door? That's awesome. The Red Notebook is decreasing world suck while people in the background...decrease world suck!)
So here's to doing inspiring things and following your dreams. You never know who's watching you and catching the awesomeness you're giving off. And here's to libraries, to books, to readers, to dreamers, and to friends like Tara who ask you to participate in projects that remind you how grateful you are for it all.
Thanks, T.







No comments:
Post a Comment